Parents and Guardians are welcome to contact the school and arrange an interview with a Managed Individual Pathways (MIPs) counsellor if your child is experiencing difficulties and needs assistance in succeeding at school, completing their schooling to the highest level possible (Year 10 as a minimum) and in gathering information about potential careers.
The purpose of MIPs interviews is to review the student’s pathways plan and discuss their future pathways. The program also includes follow-up of early school leavers (those who don’t complete Year 12) at the time of leaving and six months later.
As a MIPs counsellor our role is to help our students identify their educational goals, employment goals and the pathways that can travel along to achieve these goals. Information is an important tool when it comes to making choices and decisions.
The MIPs counsellors are Tim Kogelman, Craig Harris and Leigh Callander. To arrange an interview please contact the school on 9735 5644.
MIPs aim to help students to:
- make a smooth transition from compulsory schooling to further education, training and employment
- develop skills to manage their pathways throughout their working lives
- develop their knowledge, understanding and experience of opportunities in education, training and employment
What are pathways?
After leaving school, our students can choose between:
- continuing further education and training through TAFE or University
- undertaking an apprenticeship or traineeship
- finding employment
- taking a gap year where they may participate in employment, community or volunteer work and/or travel
Important MIPs Dates
Lilydale High School is committed to ensuring every student has a successful and positive transition from school to the world beyond. To achieve this we are ensuring students in Years 9 to 12 have a Managed Individual Pathway (MIPs) Plan. These plans detail each students educational and employment goals and contain a two year Individual Pathway Plan.
Year 9 Managed Individual Pathway Plans
- To be conducted in Term 4.
- All students will complete a MIPS plan.
Year 10 and 11 Managed Individual Pathway Plans/VCE Course Selection Interview
To be conducted at the Lutheran Church in Lilydale;
- Year 10 students (July)
- Year 11 students (at LHS, July)
- All students will have a 15 minute interview with a MIPs Counsellors present on the day.
- Parents and Guardians are encouraged and welcome to attend these interviews with their son/daughter.
- An interview letter will be posted home in July to all parents/guardians of students in Years 10 and 11 informing them of their son’s/daughter’s interview time. The letter will also explain in more detail the purpose of the interview process. It is compulsory for all Year 10 and 11 students to attend the interviews on this day.
Year 12 Managed Individual Pathway Plans/VCE Course Selection Interview
- To be conducted in Terms 1 and 2.
- All students will have a interview with either Tim Kogleman, Craig Harris or Leigh Callander.
Upon completion of the MIPS interviews, students will leave with a copy of their plan and we will retain a copy that will be filled in their MIPs school folder.
Tim Kogleman and Craig Harris