The Excellence in Sport Basketball Program at Lilydale High School is an athlete centred program that aims to provide an individualised performance framework to support their development toward becoming elite junior and senior basketball players. Our accredited coaching staff bring a wealth of knowledge and experience, with the aim of encouraging and nurturing elite performance standards and behaviours consistent with achieving personal academic and athletic goals.
The overall objective of our Excellence in Sport Basketball Program is to develop skilled and well-rounded athletes. By role modelling and encouraging core dynamic behaviours, we strive to embed elite habits that will lead to our athletes becoming talented competitors and active citizens in their community.
Our specific program objectives include:
- Providing a balanced program that ensures excellence in both the sporting and academic environments.
- Provision of specialised and individualised programs to nurture progressive sport specific skillsets.
- Providing high quality environments and resources to ensure maximal development and growth.
- Ensuring athletes are exposed to a culture of professionalism and excellence.
Training Structure and Environment:
Our program structure is dynamic in nature and consists of a variety of specific Basketball related components. These sessions are planned and implemented to ensure our athletes are taught progressively with a significant focus on skill isolation, before introducing these elements in game like scenarios.
Every week our athletes are taken through the following weekly program
- Skill Development Session
- Offensive and Defensive Structures Session
- Strength and Conditioning Session
- Match Simulation Session
Our program places a large emphasis on continual progression and development with all of our athletes, citing the importance of regular participation with their club and representative teams.
However, we do provide numerous and on-going competitive opportunities throughout the year, including:
- School Sport Victoria Championships
- FIBA Victorian 3 v 3 Championships
- Victorian College Championships
- Victorian Champions Cup
- Australian Schools Basketball Championships
The EIS Basketball Program is run by full time teachers at Lilydale High School who are also qualified Basketball Australia coaches. Coaches are either Association or Club Coach Qualified.