Lilydale High School has offered a Select Entry Accelerated Learning Program since 1994. Lilydale is a foundation member of the Academy of Accredited SEAL Schools. Entry to the program is through a selection process involving:
- General ability test
- Writing tasks
- Reading comprehension tests
- Mathematics tests
- Information from parents
- Information from the primary school teacher
- Results of Year 5 NAPLAN testing
- Latest school report
Testing for the 2019 Program will take place on Friday May 18, from 9.15 am until approximately 12.30 pm. Testing will take place at Lilydale High School.
To guarantee your child’s place in the test, all application forms, payment and supporting material must be received at the School Office by 3.30 pm Tuesday May 15, 2018. The cost for the test is $30.
For details of application forms and payment, please see the ‘Application Forms & Supporting Material‘ page.
Late applications must be approved by Lilydale High School.
Compared to other children your child’s age, does your child:
- Reason well?
- Learn rapidly?
- Have strong curiosity and persevere in their interests?
- Have a great sense of humour?
- Read avidly?
- Have a strong sense of justice?
These are just some of the characteristics of the highly able child.
If you think your son or daughter fits most of these criteria, then the Select Entry Accelerated Learning Program may be a suitable educational option for your child.
Lilydale High School has always demonstrated an active interest in curriculum development which facilitates excellent outcomes for all students. To better address the needs of students who demonstrate above-average ability, high levels of task commitment and high levels of creativity, a Select Entry Accelerated Learning Program was implemented in 1994, the second such program to be implemented in Victoria.
A six-year program, our Select Entry Accelerated Learning Program offers a curriculum which:
- Gives students the essential opportunity to work with their intellectual peers
- Provides the opportunity to explore more abstract, complex and in-depth content
- Enables students to function independently at their academic level
- Covers content at a pace suitable for these students, without unnecessary repetition
- Fosters student learning and leadership skills
- Offers further enrichment for students with high level skill in a particular academic field
- Encourages participation in a wide range of extra curricula activities
Lilydale High School provides a high quality comprehensive curriculum across eight Key Learning Areas: English, Mathematics, Science, Humanities, Languages, Technology, Arts and PASE. Exposure to each of these Learning Areas is ensured at Years 7 – 10.
- Levels 1 & 2 consist of core studies from all Key Learning Areas.
- Level 3 consists of core and elective studies.
- Level 4 consists of core and elective studies, including VCE subjects.
- VCE operates within the requirements of the Victorian Curriculum Assessment Authority.
Select Entry Accelerated Learning Program students are together as a discrete class in Levels 1 & 2. They remain together for their Level 3 (Year 9) and Level 4 (Year 10) core subjects but mix with mainstream students in electives and VCE classes. This eases the transition into their final two years, when SEALP students complete their VCE.
Select Entry Accelerated Learning students, when selecting their VCE program, will be able to draw from Vocational Education and Training subjects.
Athough their academic program differs from that of the mainstream, all other school activities are available to SEALP students. At all levels students are encouraged to participate in the wide range of enrichment activities, such as musical productions and bands, Year Level and other camps, sporting teams and academic competitions, offered by the school.
For further information about the Select Entry Accelerated Learning Program, please contact Ben Taylor, SEALP Coordinator on 9735 5644.