Select Entry Accelerated Learning Program
Lilydale High School has offered a Select Entry Accelerated Learning Program since 1994. Lilydale is a foundation member of the Academy of Accredited SEAL Schools.
What is SEAL?
Victorian Government secondary schools have been operating specific programs at authorised schools for gifted students since 1980. These have been known as Select Entry Accelerated Learning (SEAL) schools. The Academy of Accredited SEAL Schools (TAASS) has been established to maintain this tradition to enable groups of like-minded students to develop academically, socially and emotionally. The SEAL Academy follows Gagné’s model for the definition of gifted and talented students.
Lilydale High School has always demonstrated an active interest in curriculum development which facilitates excellent outcomes for all students. To better address the needs of students who demonstrate above-average ability, high levels of task commitment and high levels of creativity, a Select Entry Accelerated Learning Program was implemented in 1994, the second such program to be implemented in Victoria.
Gifted and Talented Students
Giftedness is a natural ability in one or more areas, while talent refers to an outstanding performance in one or more areas. The educational environment is an important factor in harnessing giftedness into talent.
Compared to other children your child’s age, does your child:
- Reason well?
- Learn rapidly?
- Have strong curiosity and persevere in their interests?
- Have a great sense of humour?
- Read avidly?
- Have a strong sense of justice?
These are just some of the characteristics of the highly able child.
If you think your son or daughter fits most of these criteria, then the Select Entry Accelerated Learning Program may be a suitable educational option for your child.
A six-year program, our Select Entry Accelerated Learning Program offers a curriculum which:
- Gives students the essential opportunity to work with their intellectual peers
- Provides the opportunity to explore more abstract, complex and in-depth content
- Enables students to function independently at their academic level
- Covers content at a pace suitable for these students, without unnecessary repetition
- Fosters student learning and leadership skills
- Offers further enrichment for students with high level skill in a particular academic field
- Encourages participation in a wide range of extra curricula activities
Lilydale High School provides a high-quality comprehensive curriculum across eight Key Learning Areas: English, Mathematics, Science, Humanities, Languages, Technology, Arts and PASE. Exposure to each of these Learning Areas is ensured at Years 7 – 10.
- Years 7 and 8 consist of core studies from all Key Learning Areas.
- Year 9 consists of core and elective studies.
- Year 10 consists of core and elective studies, including VCE subjects.
- VCE operates within the requirements of the Victorian Curriculum Assessment Authority.
Select Entry Accelerated Learning Program students are together as a discrete class in Years 7 and 8. They remain together for Year 9 and Year 10 core subjects but mix with mainstream students in electives and VCE classes. This eases the transition into their final two years, when SEALP students complete their VCE.
Select Entry Accelerated Learning students, when selecting their VCE program, will be able to draw from Vocational Education and Training (VET) subjects.
Although their academic program differs from that of the mainstream, all other school activities are available to SEALP students. At all levels students are encouraged to participate in the wide range of enrichment activities, such as musical productions and bands, Year Level and other camps, sporting teams and academic competitions offered by the school.
SEAL Application Process
Note: Only students who have applied for AND accepted a place in mainstream enrolment at Lilydale High School are eligible to apply for the SEAL program.
Applicants for the SEAL Program need to follow the process as outlined below:
- Apply for enrolment at Lilydale High School through the application form provided by their primary school.
- Accept offer of enrolment when received from Lilydale High School
- Register to attend the SEAL Testing Day at Lilydale High School to be held in late August 2023 (a link to register will be provided here closer to the date in Term 3)
Note: a $30 registration fee will be payable via trybooking at the time of registration. Confirmation of times and further details about the Testing Day will be provided to applicants after 21st August, but prior to the Testing Day.
On the Testing Day applicants will need to bring:
- A copy of their 2023 mid-year Grade 6 report
- Grade 5 NAPLAN results
- Completed application forms – Getting to know you testing – parent questionnaire
PLEASE DO NOT PROVIDE THESE DOCUMENTS PRIOR TO THE TESTING DAY
After the testing has been completed and the applications reviewed (including the Grade 6 report, NAPLAN results and application forms) applicants will be selected to progress to the individual interview stage and will be required to attend an interview at Lilydale High School with members of our SEAL teaching team.
Applicants will be notified after the Testing Day of further details of the interview process. Interviews are expected to be held early September 2023.
Select Entry Accelerated Learning Program Coordinator