At Lilydale High School we support the rights of all members of the school community to be provided with and engage in a safe, inclusive and supportive learning environment. This extends to the use of digital tools and online communities and is underpinned by our expectation of safe and responsible behaviour of all members of the school community.
At our school we:
- have a Student Engagement Policythat states our school’s values and expected standards of student behaviour, including actions and consequences for inappropriate online behaviour.
- educate our students to be safe and responsible users of digital technologies.
- raise our students’ awareness of issues such as online privacy, intellectual property and copyright.
- supervise and support students when using digital technologies within the classroom and establish clear protocols and procedures when working in online spaces.
- provide a filtered internet service but acknowledge that full protection from inappropriate content cannever be guaranteed.
- respond to issues or incidents that have the potential to impact on the wellbeing of our students including those reported through online services.
- know that some online activities are illegal and as such we are required to report these to the appropriate authority.
- support parents/guardians to understand safe and responsible use of digital technologies, potential issues and the strategies that they can implement at home to support their child.
This Acceptable Use Agreement outlines the responsibilities of all parties in relation to digital tools and online usage. Parents wishing further information may visit both the Department of Education and Training and Cybersmart:
- Parents Cybersafety guide (www.cybersmart.gov.au/Parents.aspx)
- DET Acceptable Use Policy for IT Systems (www.education.vic.gov.au/school/principals/infrastructure/Pages/acceptableuse.aspx)
School IT Support
Support will be provided for:
- connecting the device to the school network, internet, printers and other digital technologies
- set up and management of school, student email and google accounts
- all school-based software and associated issues with school applications.
Support will not be provided for:
- connecting to home networks, internet, printers, or other devices
- personal email accounts and settings
- hardware issues related to personal devices.
When I use digital technologies and the internet I agree to be a safe, responsible and ethical user at all times, by:
- respecting others and communicating with them in a supportive manner; never writing or participating in online bullying (e.g. forwarding messages and supporting others in harmful, inappropriate or hurtful online behaviours)
- protecting my privacy; not giving out personal details, including my full name, telephone number, address, passwords and images
- protecting the privacy of others; never posting or forwarding their personal details or images without their consent
- talking to a teacher or a trusted adult if I personally feel uncomfortable or unsafe online
- talking to a teacher or a trusted adult if I see others participating in unsafe, inappropriate or hurtful online behaviours
- carefully considering the content that I upload or post online; knowing that this is a personal reflection of who I am and what people think of me
- investigating the terms and conditions of use (e.g. age restrictions, parental consent requirements) and if my understanding is unclear seeking further explanation from a trusted adult
- confirming that I meet the stated terms and conditions and completing the required registration processes
- handling ICT devices with care and notifying a teacher of any damage or required attention
- abiding by copyright and intellectual property regulations; requesting permission to use images, text, audio and video and cite references where necessary
- not accessing any unauthorised programs during school hours including games and streaming services.
- not interfering with network systems and security, the data of another user or attempting to log into the network with a username or password of another student.
In addition, when I use digital technologies I agree to be a safe, responsible and ethical user at all times, by:
- keeping devices on silent during class times;
- keeping my mobile phone locked in my locker in accordance with the Department’s Mobile Phones — Student Use Policy issued by the Minister for Education, personal mobile phones and other personal mobile devices must not be used at Lilydale High School during school hours, including lunchtime and recess, unless an exception has been granted.
- Where a student has been granted an exception, the student must use their mobile phone for the for which the exception was granted, and in a safe, ethical and responsible manner.
- respecting the privacy of others; only taking photos or recording sound or video when others are aware and formal consent has been provided as part of an approved lesson
- respecting others and communicating with them in a supportive manner, including outside school hours and in social contexts by not making harassing phone calls/text messages or forwarding messages
- obtaining appropriate (written) consent from individuals who appear in images or sound and video recordings before forwarding them to other people or posting/uploading them to online spaces.
I am responsible for:
- Bringing my device to school with the battery fully charged every day.
- Ensuring that my device is stored securely in their locker when not being used.
- Carrying my device in an appropriate protective bag/case when not in use.
- In class, my device will be used at the discretion of the classroom teacher – the class teacher will determine when and how it is used in class.
- If a student leaves the device at home, the student is responsible for completing all work to the best of their abilities as if a device were present.
- Parents/caregivers and students must sign the Acceptable Use Agreement in relation to the use of digital tools and online usage.
- Adhering to this Acceptable Use Agreement when using the device, both at home and at school, including during lunchtime or when not in the classroom.
This Acceptable Use Agreement applies to all digital technologies and environments, including (although not limited to):
- school owned ICT devices (e.g. desktops, laptops, printers, scanners)
- mobile phones and student owned devices
- email and instant messaging
- internet, intranet
- social networking sites (e.g. Facebook)
- video and photo sharing websites (e.g. YouTube)
- blogs or microblogs (e.g. Twitter)
- forums, discussion boards and groups (e.g. Google groups)
- wikis (e.g. Wikipedia)
- vod and podcasts
- video conferences and web conferences.
This Acceptable Use Agreement applies when digital technologies are being used at school, during school excursions, at camps and extracurricular activities, and at home for any activities associated with Lilydale High School, its staff or students.