We are excited to announce the introduction of our Student Chromebook Program for 2019. The decision to move to Chromebooks has come after a great deal of research, investigation and consideration starting in 2016, which included;
- visiting and liaising with schools that have an established Chromebook program
- having students and teachers use Chromebooks
- having a class trial Chromebooks
- professional development for staff
- testing and refinement of the ICT infrastructure
The Lilydale High School Chromebook and Notebook program is separated into two phases:
- Phase 1 Year 7 to 9 Chromebook Program
- Phase 2 Year 10 to 12 Chrome/Notebook Program
Purchasing a new device in Year 7 and then again in Year 10 ensures students have a reliable and up-to-date device to support their learning.
The Chromebooks available on the portal are Lilydale High School’s recommended devices as of 2019 for all year levels.
- Current Lilydale High School students using iPads can continue to do so. When it comes time to replace these devices, students are encouraged to purchase a Chromebook.
- Up to date Windows 10 and Apple notebooks can currently be used in Years 10 to 12.
- iPads and other tablets are no longer recommended devices at Lilydale High School. When it comes time to replace these devices families are encouraged to purchase a Chromebook through the portal on the school’s website.
What is a Chromebook?
- Chromebooks are a cost effective education focused laptop that runs Chrome OS (operating system) designed to utilise with G-Suite For Education.
- G-Suite For Education is a collection of productivity tools designed to help students and teachers to collaborate and interact seamlessly and securely across devices.
- G-Suite includes; Mail, Drive, Classroom, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Sites, Calendar.
- G-Suite For Education is already extensively used by Lilydale High School students and teachers.
Chromebooks are ideal for use in a school environment because they:
- enhance student communication and collaboration opportunities.
- are reliable, automatically kept up to date, with in built virus protection.
- are designed to be easy to use, have a fast boot time, and quick access to web apps.
- save work automatically to the cloud.
- have a proven long battery life.
- are very durable.
Students are expected to:
- Bring their device to school with the battery fully charged every day.
- Ensure that their device is stored securely in their locker when not being used.
- In class, their device will be used at the discretion of the classroom teacher – students must take their device to every class (unless explicitly told not too), but the class teacher will determine when and how it is used in class.
- If a student leaves the device at home, the student is responsible for completing all work to the best of their abilities as if a device were present.
- Students devices must ONLY be used for educational purposes. Devices are NOT to be used at recess or lunchtime unless being used in the Library or Study Hall (for VCE students) for educational purposes.
- Parents, caregivers and students must sign the Acceptable Use Agreement in relation to the use of digital tools and online usage.
Ordering a Chromebook
All orders will need to be made through our school approved supplier portal. This is because the device comes preconfigured to connect to Lilydale High School’s wireless network, printing system and school domain, providing access to specific apps and updates.
Furthermore, the Chromebook will come with a 3 Year Onsite Extended Warranty and Premier Support to ensure that any issues can be dealt with quickly through the school IT support team.
Chromebooks can be purchased from JBHifi here
School Code: LILYDALEHS2019
Chromebook Comparison Click Here
Frequently Asked Questions Click Here